Ammonite Pendant | Pyrite Fossil Necklace | Sterling silver
This product is sold out
A stunning pyritised ammonite fossil from Russia set in sterling silver to create a stunning pendant.
- Fossil type: Pyritised Ammonite
- Source: Russia
- Age: 150 million years old (approx)
- Reversible: Yes
- Size: 50mm (including bail) x 25mm
- Properties: boosts health, prosperity and good luck.
- History: Ammonoid cephalopods first appeared circa 400 million years ago and became extinct around 65 million years ago along with the dinosaurs.
- Chain: Free 18" rope chain (pictured) chain upgrades available at checkout
- Post: Free 1st class delivery to the UK. Charge for tracked and signed international orders.
- Pyrite cufflinks are also available
This ammonite necklace is used making a pyritised Ammonite from Russia that was collected near Saratov, and dates to the middle Jurassic – 160 million years ago. The chambers of the shell are filled with pyrite, also known as fool's gold. These breathtakingly beautiful ammonites died in a sea that contained a heavy concentration of iron. As the ammonite decayed, it released sulphide which reacted with the dissolved iron in the water.
The interaction of sulphide and iron formed the pyrite which replaced the ammonite cell by cell. Glittering gold and grey pyrite fills the chambers, giving them the appearance of gold.