Pyrite Ammonite Pendant | Large Pendant | Sterling Silver
This product is sold out
A stunning pyrite ammonite pendant in Sterling Silver, which has the added benefit of being reversible so can be worn to show the exposed fossil on the reverse.
- Fossil Type: Pyrite Ammonite
- Source: Russia
- Age: 150 million years old (approx)
- Reversible: Yes
- Size: 55mm (including bail) x 30mm
- Properties: Boost health, prosperity and good luck.
- History: Ammonoid cephalopods first appeared circa 400 million years ago and became extinct around 65 million years ago along with the dinosaurs.
- Chain: Free 18" rope chain (pictured) chain upgrades available at checkout
- Post: Free 1st class delivery to the UK. Charge for tracked and signed international orders.
- Pyrite Ammonite Cufflinks are also available
This pyritised Ammonite was collected near the Russian city of Saratov, and dates to the middle Jurassic around 160 million years ago. The chambers of the shell are filled with pyrite. These breathtakingly beautiful ammonites died in a sea that contained a heavy concentrate of iron. As the ammonite decayed, it released sulphide which reacted with the dissolved iron in the water.
The interaction of sulphide and iron formed the pyrite, which is also known as fool's gold, replacing the ammonite cell by cell. Glittering gold and grey pyrite fills the chambers, giving them the appearance of gold.